For our Decatur, AL clients who want to remove fine facial hair or other skin imperfections, we often recommend dermaplaning. This treatment involves very lightly shaving the skin’s epidermis, removing dead skin and unwanted hair, and revealing the brighter, fresh skin below.
Ready to schedule an appointment or consultation? You can now book online!
Or call us at (256) 686-9111.
Dermaplaning is an advanced exfoliation technique that uses a very thin blade to gently remove the outer layers of skin and unwanted facial hair, commonly referred to as “peach fuzz.”
Benefits of Dermaplaning
- Exfoliate your skin
- Remove vellus hair (peach fuzz)
- Get a smoother application and look from your makeup
- Stimulate collagen to reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Remove hair from around the lips for a clean and crisp lip line
The Experience: What Dermaplaning Is Like
Special Note: The procedure flow will vary slightly depending on what your specific goals or needs are that day.
- We start by Prepping Your Face, removing any makeup and gently cleansing your skin.
- Next is the Dermaplaning. We gently scrape your entire face to remove any hair and exfoliate. This can take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes depending on the amount of hair on your face
- A Hot Towel is laid over your face after we finish the dermaplane, because it feels amazing!
- Then we apply a Hydrating Mask. This will calm, cool and rehydrate your skin after a dermaplane to speed recovery and repair any skin damage, which is very minimal to begin with.
- While the hydrating mask is on, your face is massaged with Icy Globes. This gentle face massage works together with the Revision Blue Hydrating Mask to further calm the skin, reduce redness, and prevent any puffiness. And also because they are wonderfully relaxing!
- Hand Massage time! While waiting for the mask to hydrate your skin, we’ll perform a forearm and hand massage. Who knew hand massages were so amazing?!
- Now a Second Hot Towel, to remove the mask.
- Lastly, we apply of Medical Grade Skin Care Products. Immediately after dermaplaning your skin is extra receptive to anything we put on it, so we use this time to provide it with all the nutrients it needs for an extra anti aging boost.
Receive a complimentary skin analysis with the VECTRA® 3D imaging system during your skincare consultation. Learn More.
Dermaplaning Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I get a dermaplane?
We recommend having it done once per month, as this is about how long it takes for the hair on your face to begin growing back.
Is Dermaplaning Safe?
Dermaplaning is a safe and effective way to resurface the skin when performed by a trained professional. Extreme precision is needed to remove only the superficial layers of skin. If the deeper layers of skin are affected, unwanted side effects can occur. Because of this, all dermaplaning treatments are performed by our highly trained, licensed aestheticians.
Does it hurt?
Not at all. We've heard it described as feeling like a cat is licking your face!
Will the hair on my face grow back thicker and darker?
No, this is a total myth. The hair on your face will grow back exactly how it was before, blond and fuzzy. Re-growth usually occurs over a month or so, but varies from person to person.
Isn't dermaplaning the same as shaving?
Dermaplaning is different than shaving in that it does more in terms of exfoliation; it actually removes dead skin cells.
Is there any recovery time?
Nope! There is absolutely zero recover time with dermaplaning, and you can reapply makeup immediately after. All we ask is that you avoid the sun for 24 hours.
What other treatments pair well with Dermaplaning?
- Chemical Peels